Email Me Facebook Page My Twitter Page My Pinboards Bloggers' Buzz

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hariyali Chicken Kabab, my version


Well this is strictly not the traditional hariyali kebab recipe. But it tasted so lip smacking good,  I wanted to share it with you. It is an easy peasy recipe, only hassle is getting the the chicken marinated 24 hours earlier. You could make it with less marination time. I never tried that.
First things first, recently we bought a kitchen herb pot (I was trying to grow herbs myself, but my fingers being not even remotely green, was not successful). Finally I gave in and bought this ready herb pot. Ever since it has come home, I have been liberally using herbs from the pot in all our food.New Herb Pot
Last week we had a Kolkata street food party in our home (more on that later) and I made a bottle full of coriander chutney to add in the papri chat and also to serve with fish chops. It is dead easy to make and since I was making it, decided to make a bit more than I needed, so that I could use it later.
Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped, use the stems as well,
20 or so mint leaves, chopped
2 to 4 green chillies, seeded or reseeded, according to your taste
1 small piece of ginger, grated
1 pinch of asafoetida/hing 
1 tea spoon of roasted cumin seeds roughly crushed
1 tea spoon of brown sugar/jaggery
1 table spoon of vegetable oil
Juice of half a lime/lemon
Salt to taste
1/4th cup of water
Method: Just blitz all the ingredients in your blender, check the taste, I added a wee bit of brown sugar and my chutney was ready. This recipe yields a big bottle of chutney, if you do not have immediate use of so much, just store the rest in a sterilised glass bottle. The chutney stays fine in the fridge for about two weeks.
It, the chutney I mean, came out a treat, all coriander-y with a hint of mint, a kick from all those chillies, and a subtle sweet and sour taste.  This is the North Indian version, which is what I wanted, but if you want the Bengali version all you have to do is increase the amount of sugar to two table spoons and add mustard oil and rock salt. The Bengali version goes a treat with motorshuti ir kochuri. Ah that takes me back to those winter days of childhood! Both coriander and peas grew in winter, so in my mind winter and these treats are inseparable.
To get back, while planning yesterday's dinner I decided to use this chutney as a marinade for my chicken. So the evening before yesterday after washing the chicken pieces (I used de-boned and de-skinned thigh pieces, you can leave the skin on if you want), I cut them into small pieces, pierced them with a sharp knife and set them aside to drain the water. To prepare the marinade, I added half a bottle of this chutney, one table spoon of ginger and garlic paste each, one table spoon of oil and some diced green chillies into a plastic bag, threw in the boneless pieces of chicken thigh, shook the bag well and kept the bag in the fridge. Next day I diced some onions and green pepper and prepared the chicken skewers which I berbequed. I served it with some mixed beans and green salad. 
The kebabs were very juicy and spicy with the coriander flavour dominating. Since I love all things coriander, it was heavenly for me.  The onion and green peepers were done yet crisp, just the way we love them. This is a super easy recipe and goes really well on lazy summer evenings.

2 comments:

  1. Yumm yumm yummmmy.Aruna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aruna...made this during one of our summer BBQs...this summer we BBQed to our hearts' content...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my space and spending some time here. Hope you enjoyed your stay. I will be very happy if you choose to leave a comment.
Au revoir friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...